Missing hard drive.

Questions, troubleshooting, issues, news and reviews
Martin VIFC004
Site Admin

Re: Missing hard drive.

Post by Martin VIFC004 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Check the connections from the PS to the hard drive and then check the connections from the HDD to to motherboard. May have come loose.
Buttons … check. Dials … check. Switches … check. Little colored lights … check.

Wayne VIFC007
Location: Hopedale, Dargle, KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, South Africa.

Post by Wayne VIFC007 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:30 am

I have a 2-terrabyte external USB hard drive that goes off from time to time....

The cause is the USB ports - both my admin computer and my graphics (flying) computers lose USB ports from time-to-time....

The cause may be as simple as dust build-up on the connections..... it becomes irritating when one is in the middle of something....
"Nothing easy is ever difficult"

Henk - VIFC168

Post by Henk - VIFC168 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 am

Wayne wrote :

<The cause may be as simple as dust build-up on the connections.>

That happens with African dust ! :) :)
The Flying Dutchman.

Jaco VIFC001

Post by Jaco VIFC001 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi Wayne. Go to device manager and find usb section. Open it and check power management for each usb port. VIA Properties.
Uncheck the box ALLOW windows to turn off the port when...... Windows will shutt down USB port when you need more power some place else in the PC. This could solve your problem and also use a good can of pressurized air to clean dust :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers...
Jaco ;)

Martin VIFC004
Site Admin

Post by Martin VIFC004 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:23 am

Ah....Guys....I think Vernon said it was "internal" :oops:
Buttons … check. Dials … check. Switches … check. Little colored lights … check.

Wayne VIFC007
Location: Hopedale, Dargle, KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, South Africa.

Post by Wayne VIFC007 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Jaco VIFC001 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 pm
Hi Wayne. Go to device manager and find usb section. Open it and check power management for each usb port. VIA Properties.
Uncheck the box ALLOW windows to turn off the port when...... Windows will shutt down USB port when you need more power some place else in the PC. This could solve your problem and also use a good can of pressurized air to clean dust :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers...
Jaco ;)
Thanks, Jaco..... I'll follow that brilliant advice!!!

I normally disconnect my computer(s), then take them (individually) to the farm workshop, and use our mid-sized compressor to blow out the dust, then use my Kirby vacuum cleaner (one of the BEST dirt suckers around!!!) to get rid of any residual dust. It has a soft brush attachment that is kind to electronic components....

Its the middle of hay-making and fire-season on the farm at the moment - for the rest of July-, so I'll schedule the maintenance sometime later in the month....
"Nothing easy is ever difficult"